Saturday 26 May 2012

A Fusion Delight.

For those of you who read this regularly you will of course have noticed that there is a great deal on here about food. One was the great things lacking in my country is that lack of food being central to the core of what we do. It is hard to identify much that is English apart from roasted meats on Sunday, steak and kidney puddings, bangers and mash, and a marvellous legacy of sticky puddings. There is of course one other great pillar of our food culture, the fried breakfast. So many other countries, particularly in Asia do it better than us; life revolves around food and faith.

But I am a foodie and have a large collection of cookery books. By far the greatest and most beautiful is Ken Hom's "Taste of China". It is full of simple yet stunning recipes as one would expect. But it is more than that, it is a great read with amazing photos recalling that most diverse of food cultures. A couple of years ago my sister  Miriam asked me for a good Chinese cook book,. without hesitation I bought her the "Taste of China". Sadly the latest edition does not contain all those fabulous pictures.

On a hot late Spring day after too much time spent cleaning and tidying-my flat really needed that-I turn once again to Ken Hom. This time his fusion book "Ken Hom Travels With a Hot Wok". If you don't have it get it, the Korean beef kebabs are the finest BBQ foods I have ever eaten. But it is not them that I am doing today. Rather I am trying something different. For the last 2 hours I have been marinading a pork chop in Madras curry powder, cumin, five spice, thyme, salt, pepper, and Szechuan peppercorns. It is just about to go into my griddle pan and if it tastes any where near as good as it smells I will be very happy.

Then I will retire for Pimm's and an evening of cricket highlights and my other favourite TV chef Rick Stein. Nice to have a day away from mental health; I have barely thought about madness at all.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment