Saturday 2 June 2012

The Award That Wasn't!

Well, it's the morning after the night before. I didn't win the award I was shortlisted for. It left a room of rather surprised people but perhaps not me. I didn't really know if I had a chance not. But the comments of others were interesting with the university placing more credence on a Lab Technician that someone who works with the most vulnerable students doing what is at times a life and death job.

That may all sound very arrogant but it is more reference to another failed award attempt. I was delighted that our out of hours housing team were nominated. They are in the main students who volunteer and work right through the night. It is not me that gets the calls at 3 am when a mental health crisis hits. I just pick up the pieces the next day. They are the ones who do the difficult stuff and respond to emergencies. Very pissed off they didn't win, losing out to an academic bureaucrat.

But enough of that, it is a long weekend. Sadly the sun appears to have gone elsewhere but maybe it will reappear. Now that I have finished writing the book I have way too much time on my hands. There is only really cooking left. Having fought my way through the crowds in Waitrose-there was nowhere to park either-I was most pleased to find some strips of belly pork. Cheap and easy I will turn them into a Thai curry tonight and doing the rest on Monday in the form of the legendary Twice Cooked Szechuan pork. If you have never had it you must try it!

Tomorrow I am cooking kebabs on a BBQ at the Hedgehog. Forecast is awful but let's hope for the best. I have to head over there in a bit to chop and marinade the chicken. 3 different types, Chinese ones with black beans and chilli, Moroccan ones like I did for work last week and some chicken tikka for the rest. If you believe my friends in the pub my chicken tikki far outstrips that of any restaurant-high but undeserved praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment