Friday 26 August 2011

Tapas in the Rain.

It was quite late in my culinary career that I discovered North African and Middle Eastern food. I'd always been slightly put off by the propensity to mix meat with fruit-never been a fan of that. But my tastes are changing and I'm discovering what I had been missing.

So this morning I set off to Canterbury with the express idea of going to my favourite cafe, Cafe Mauresque in Butchery Lane. Check out the website if you are ever in these parts http://www.cafemauresque.com/ . It is well worth a trip.

As the rain hurtled down outside I indulged in tapas that was very good. I mused on the idea of whether it really was right to call it tapas-should it really have been mezze? Or is that just if it is Turkish? There are few things better than merguez sausages and tabbouleh to go with flatbread and hummus and finally a nice aubergine and feta stew.

Not sure of the authenticy but I did enjoy it. Suspect I had a rather better day than my friends who went to the St Lawrence ground today to see Kent versus India-no play before 5 pm. I was thinking of them as I went past the gorund in the bus.

I'm in Kent until Wednesday-my birthday on Tuesday. Hope the weather picks up and I can make it to the beach. And there are plans for a BBQ on Sunday so hope the sun comes out.

I Heard a Voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment