Saturday 4 April 2020

Into the West.

The sun is moving inexorably west. In a couple of hours it will set over the horizon on a glorious spring day. Two weeks have now gone by since the pubs, the restaurants, and cafes were closed. Shops too. And on Monday we were ordered to stay home. The world in time of pandemic.

Despite this I continue to do well. While others struggle with working at home, not being able to see their friends, and being stuck indoors I am thriving. The coming mania has abated somewhat but I'm not downhearted. Much to my surprise I'm coping well with no pubs, no restaurants, and no cafes. God this well help my bank balance.

Without Jess to help I am doing housework bit by bit. Today it was changing and washing the bedding, sweeping and mopping the floors. Tomorrow dusting and hoovering. Tedious but doable.

Of course I still have my kitchen and my culture. We have now left the EU but I still use, love and nurture the influence of Europe. My eclectic taste brought Italian opera, Spanish food and French wine today. Tosca, Sarranitos and Chardonnay. I can live with that.

Getting out to shop yesterday my fridge is full. Tonight a home made burger. Last night it was Thai stir fried prawns with chilli and basil. Hurrah for seafood. Tomorrow roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. That is assuming I remember to buy milk when I go out tomorrow. For the week I have Gloucester Old Spot sausages, chicken breast, lamb rump, prawns, smoked mackerel, rump steak, venison fillet and ox cheeks. With food in the shops my ventures continue.

I am lucky in that I still have a job and I'm still getting paid. Some sadly are not as fortunate as me. What the world will look like when we finally emerge I do not know. My guess is we are already in recession. With the exception of whoever invented the Zoom app I'm not sure too many people will make a fortune from the current crisis. We will survive in the UK but what of countries less fortunate than us? I hope humanity will prevail.

My afternoon walk done looks like I'm in for the duration. Opera on Radio 3 or just more TV? Those are tonight's options. Whatever I choose it has been a good day, I'm doing well, and tomorrow is another day.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment