Sunday 25 August 2019

Glorious Victory!

God was that tense? I have watched cricket for more than 40 years but I can recall little that can possibly match what happened this afternoon. The Ashes are still alive!

It's a stiflingly hot day here in Hertfordshire. An end of summer heat wave. In a few days autumn will arrive, we will remember this day and I'm on holiday. No work until 9th. After the buffeting of recent weeks I was curiously optimistic on my last day on Friday. I do not know how the next few weeks will pan out but for now I rest.

A pork shoulder joint is roasting away slowly. The potatoes are parboiled and about to go in the oven. The only cloud on the horizon for me is a second day of difficult sleep marred by bizarre and disturbing dreams. But I will sail serenely on a day at a time.

Tomorrow has no plan. Yes I will cook. Hopefully get out of the flat for a while. The countdown to my birthday ticks ever onward. I wonder if anyone will turn up on Friday? Dad is coming along with Miriam. A nice lunch on The Waggoners. A night over the road. And I will hit 50. I had a long awaited walk through the woods to the former yesterday with Gary and Ali. I'm expecting Sarah around 6 pm.

With time a little on my side I hope to go to Borough Market. Maybe Cambridge too. But that can wait. For now I celebrate a mighty day for English cricket. See you soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment