Saturday 30 September 2017

Resistance is Crumbling

As a child I was not a fan of radishes or watercress. Too peppery in flavour for a little boy who was adventurous in the food stakes but found some things too much. Four decades later I rediscovered both tastes today and decided I rather like them. It took to buy expensive organic watercress to discover what was normal back in the 1970s. Food had flavour. Now we struggle to find such heights. The radishes were a delight with my lunch although I suspect I might have to raise the price to discover the old pepperiness.

You find me on a Saturday night after a day of contrasts, bright morning, golden and russet hues of the fall, a colder afternoon and now to the now. La Clemenza di Tito plays as I sip a chilled Italian white. I consumed a lovely organic brown trout with my watercress. Stuffed with Serrano ham and topped with my more ham, garlic and parsley, just a squeeze of lemon and a delight was produced.

I've enjoyed today. It is the day after pay day and finding myself in better shape than I anticipated I finally succumbed to the recent temptation. I was not too extravagant but my pile of waiting books has swelled, I have finally spent my John Lewis voucher and now own an Italian made moleskin jacket. As I often am I was uncertain when I got home but donning it this afternoon I am pleased.

The indulgence of a hair cut and wet shave with hot towels marked the first weekend after being paid. After a light lunch I headed out to The Rose and Crown at Sandridge to meet Peter. Sadly Kym couldn't make it but we had a fine afternoon. Words of encouragement and sanity after what panned out to be a long and at times difficult first week of term. It could have been worse but after my last post things hotted up.

Still in one piece I'm happy in my relaxed Saturday night away from it all. I do hope you're enjoying your Saturday. Next time I address the world of ether on the web it will be October. See you then.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment