Saturday 23 September 2017

Any Other Saturday.

The chill, condensation and mist that greeted me on Thursday morning are gone. Autumn has gone back to bed again although the beauty of the trees endures. It's a nothing kind of day, just another Saturday.

You can accuse me of being a creature of habit. I hit the butcher, pottered around in town then lunched with Yang. My mood seems back in its normal place as the greed that overcame me as I looked at books was dispelled. A couple of weeks ago with it beginning to soar I might have bought the seven cook books that I desired today. But why? I have so many already. Were I do every recipe from every cook book I have I would be the longest living man in the history of the world. Probably the fattest too. That will never happen. Let greed stay buried from my psyche for the foreseeable future.

About five miles to the south of here the storm that has potentially been brewing since A Level results day will be arriving. Staying away from e mail I do not know whether it has erupted yet. Will I get engulfed this week when I return? Experience learnt hard over the last decade makes it entirely likely that at least one young person will have been detained under the Mental Health Act by this time next week.

What will I report at the end of the coming week? Am I ready? I'm not sure. There have been tensions already which does not bode well. I will try to hold my own and come home each evening having done some good. A somewhat unnerving Friday was tempered by the fact that I did make at least one student's day before I went home.

And this weekend? Sussex Sarah is coming for dinner. Will be nice to see her. She has not been well recently so I hope we can celebrate a return to health. I am doing pork chops with Calvados. I'm supposed to flambe them but I'm a bit concerned about fire risk so may just aim to evaporate off the alcohol rather than burning it off. Sarah is bringing wine and dessert.

Assuming I wake up not too tired and feeling okay tomorrow I hope to visit the French Market at Hatfield House. The NFL comes to Wembley in the afternoon so opera day will be on hold. I have some topside of beef to roast. Let's hope it is as good and rare as when I last cooked it at dad's.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment