Saturday 16 September 2017

A Wedding Perhaps?

Given the number of cars I saw parked neatly in a row in Ayot Green and the throng of well dressed people I can only assume there must be a wedding going on. I don't know if there is a church nearby but all the hallmarks of such a celebration were there. Whilst I of course wish the bride and groom well it did rather thwart my plan for a nice lunch in The Waggoners. 

As an alternative I drove out to The White Horse at Burnham Green for my lunch. Sadly the rather nice Headless Horse ale was off and I was staggered at the cost of a pint and what I expected to be a small plate of whitebait. When it came though I saw why, the portion was vast. It was very good and heartening on what looks like an overcast and slightly chilly autumn day. That autumn has arrived became evident trying to sleep in the week and feeling cold. This morning the winter duvet came out.

My first week back has been interesting. Plenty of signs of trouble ahead yet my anxiety stayed curiously out of focus. After my suggestion of buzzy times there was more to show that my mood may be a little too up. Twice people mentioned the word manic to me. Usually I try to keep a low profile in The Hedgehog but my sudden loud, rude and dismissive demeanour that accompanies what passes for mania in my life was quite evident.

Today I feel calm. There are urges to spend spend spend. But I resisted. I slept well but woke rather earlier than I had hoped. My mind was not on fire. The usual Saturday butcher and supermarket trip took place. There is pot roast chicken with chorizo, leeks and cider on the menu tonight for my guests. Hailing from Spain I even managed to get some Galician cider. I will serve it with bread and we will drink fizz. Is that wise? Not sure but who cares?

I fully expect this weekend to go in a flash as we hurtle towards the start of term. It is but a minor problem compared to the uncertain world beyond my little flat. Another terrorist attack took place in London yesterday. Why do people hate so much? I do not understand a world that is trying very hard to destroy itself. But human nature and its devastating destructive streak goes way back in time and likely long into the future. I'm relieved my friend Rebecca is back from visiting her in laws in South Korea. The volatility of some world leaders makes it arguably more dangerous than at any time of my life. But life goes on a day at a time. I intend to enjoy today, hope you do too.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment