Wednesday 3 October 2012

A Fennel Famine.

There is something marvellous about fennel. In both seed and bulb form it is one of my favourite ingredients. It goes particularly well with pork and every time I buy my favoured cut of the pig I always buy fennel to go with it. Actually I have 2 cuts of pig I love, shoulder and belly; fennel goes with both. I have been hunting for a fennel bulb since Saturday but alas there is none to be found in my corner of Hertfordshire.

I'm not too good with seasonal produce. That is especially true at this time of year with turnips, swedes, squashes and parsnips not in my life-can't stand them actually. I don't know the fennel season but given what is available in supermarkets even of dubious quality, I'm amazed I can't find any. I will have to think of another way to use my left over shoulder.

It has not made me too downcast, I am downcast already. My stuckness and disillusionment goes on with nothing on the horizon. I feel depressed but not ill. There was one bright spot today when I met a former student who rested last year who has returned. It was a revelation to see such a young man turn his life around in a year after a very deep depression. None of that was down to me but it proves if you find the right person-and he did-many things can happen.

2 days to go until the weekend and precious sleep. In between I get to see my beloved Rams live on Thursday night. Not strictly true as I will be in bed and having to record it. Yet it is so nice to have chance to see them after not a single televised game accessible for me last season.

More soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment