Saturday 2 May 2020

An Act of Kindness.

There is a very beautiful young woman who works in the shop by my flat. Not in a striking or classical way. She is very quiet and doesn't show much emotion, neither smiling nor frowning. Always immaculately presented and made up with lipstick. I suspect by her demeanour she is older than she looks. I don't know why I notice her other than how polite and efficient she is but I do notice her. My assumption is that she mainly works evening shifts as I often see her going in when it was easier to shop. I do not know her name or story but I like being served by her.

Venturing in in the week I bought a few things including a light bulb. When I got home I realised I hadn't packed said bulb. It was getting on and I had no receipt so I gave it up to experience and worried little that I had lost £4.50. Yesterday I went in again for more supplies. At a different till to pay I was shocked that she walked over and said "did you leave your light bulb behind the other day?" and promptly put it in my bag. I was struck by the kindness of this young woman. Certainly not what I was expecting.

In an odd sort of a way I sense that many are being kinder in these difficult times. More patient although there are exceptions. More tolerant, mainly. And more forgiving. I have optimism that that will continue when the shackles come off and we are free again.

My week was most politely described as trying. Having sail serenely on the crest of a semi manic wave having the anxiety brake taken away things came crashing down on Monday. You know those days when all the most demanding of people come out to play, the doubt creeps in and the anger brought on by powerlessness ferments? That was my Monday. And with few resolutions until yesterday I did not enjoy the week. The result that the impact of therapy on Wednesday was diluted is not what I need now or at any time.

Come the weekend though limping home after the storm of the week that was, the waters have calmed, the gale subsided and some sort of peace is restored.

Domestic things took up part of my day, sweeping, mopping, hoovering, washing. All those tedious things. But now I have a sense of accomplishment and a sedate reassurance that I can manage without Jess for a while.

The storm continues in the culinary arts. Thai stir fried prawns with chilli and basil for supper yesterday. I shallow fried the remaining prawns dusted in turmeric, chilli powder and gram flour and served them on a bed of salad and a squeeze of lemon for lunch. After this I will make a curry paste from Java to use in a lamb curry. And tomorrow an old favourite in slow roast shoulder of pork. Can't wait.

A long chat with Jayne on the phone was lovely. Need to ring dad later. So I bid you farewell a day after May Day and wish you all well. See you soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment