Monday 3 February 2020

Exit Stage Left.

Driving through the fens on my way to catch my train home this morning I was struck by the vastness and beauty of the sky. Blue with broken but not threatening clouds the endless miles of flat, fertile plains gave an enormity to the sky above that I had forgotten. I spent nine years of my life living in Cambridge. Mixed but special, I doubt I will make it back to live there at this stage of my life.

Coming home though another enormity came into perspective. On Friday night the UK left the EU. I did not vote to leave but have been adamant in the belief that a democratic decision was made in 2016 and we needed to stick to it. I've never felt like a European. It does not form part of my sense of self. But I think it is a mistake. A democratic miscalculation but democratic none the less. Of course we were lied to. But the nature of having elections is that we are always lied to. Better to have a choice rather than none as so many people in this world have.

Getting home around 2 pm I popped out to butcher, had a pint at The White Horse and am now in my warm flat, a chicken is roasting in the oven and a quiet evening ahead.

The purpose of my visit ended well. Miriam cooked some beautiful food, we had fun, we drank and the hated San Francisco 49ers were defeated in an epic Super Bowl by the Kansas City Chiefs. That was special.

Tomorrow I return to work. So far mainly it has been okay. There will be difficult times and I suspect Wednesday is likely to be such a day. But I go in, do my work, drive home and then be me again.

Have a good week, more soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment