Wednesday 5 February 2020

A Little Ice and Fog.

Awaking this morning to a frozen car and then thick fog was not what I was anticipating. I seem to be sleeping very heavily at the moment so getting up is something of a challenge. But having made it in a little late the latter part of the morning brought sunshine and clear skies. Cold though.

The day was somewhat frustrating with people coming at the wrong time, cancelling and not showing up at all. It was ever thus though. Tomorrow is Time to Talk Day and University Mental Health Day and no doubt many conversations will be had but little action afterwards. Always we hear complaints that we don't do enough. Or we don't do it right. Or people can't get appointments. The truth some of the time is so much of our resource can be wasted by no shows. We keep plugging them in, doing what we can and one way or another we help many young people get through their degrees.

As we edge closer to lighter days, the blossom of spring and hopefully at some point warmer days I'm now a third through my thirteenth year at the University. How has that happened? Given that I had never done a job for more than two and half years prior to that, it was not what I was expecting. Is that what settling into a career is? In truth my quote unquote career started very late. I climbed an unusually greasy pole and then got stuck. And here I am.

Reflecting on another day mentally I'm doing okay. What tomorrow will bring I do not know. But aside from blips and angry days I'm still thriving. I certainly didn't feel I was prior to Christmas.

So on opera night with Figaro accompanying my musings I leave with the thought that it is possible to fight back from breakdown, suicide, despair and fear. That surely is what Time to Talk should be about?

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment