Saturday 28 September 2019

The Immediacy of the Moment.

One of the great challenges of the modern world is the immediacy of life. Phones, texts, e mails, Messenger, Instagram. Are we ever allowed to switch off? Having been caught out in the early hours of Thursday morning by a phone being on and a call I should never have received last night I switched my phone off to sleep. This morning when I turned it on I was greeted by an unexpected, unpleasant and unwanted message. The curse of immediacy and expectation was not nice on what I had hoped would be a happy day. I am not always good at getting back to people but I do try. Sometimes though I miss things but that is being human. I am buoyed by the fact that I know that particular person has significant issues with mental health but it feels unnecessary and hurtful.

After a not so good and slightly hungover start the day dawned dull but mild. Now it is chilly. Too early for heating but getting that way. I had a wander in town and lunch with Yang. I bumped into Sarah which was nice. I'd spent a couple of hours with her sons last night, another unexpected turn of events. Good fun even if I paid the price today. Back at home I settled down to watch the AFL Grand Final. And what a win for the Richmond Tigers!

You may be wondering how the start of term went. Well mainly well. There's a lot of change and it will take some getting used to but we are getting there. Thursday was fraught and tense on many fronts but I have made it to the weekend. Mainly spent on my own it will involve steamed monkfish with ginger, soy and sesame oil tonight and roast beef for lunch tomorrow. The Marriage of Figaro is on Radio 3 tonight so perhaps that and a book. I'm behind on my reading as I am watching too many NFL games.

This coming week I will see my therapist and my supervisor. Be good to get some input on both fronts. Not that I feel in need but sometimes reflection away from the day to day can be most helpful. Monday brings pay day and Tuesday October. Can this year really be going so fast? Enjoy your weekend and see you soon.

I Heard a Voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment