Saturday 13 July 2019

Saturday Wanders.

The air is very still. The sky is overcast. The heat and humidity has dissipated. And a pleasant summer's afternoon is unfolding. The women's final at Wimbledon is under way. Tomorrow we have the cricket world cup final, the men's final in the tennis and the netball world cup is taking place. What a summer of sport. Much as I love cricket I'm not really very interested in the one day game. I don't follow tennis. And know nothing about netball. But it all adds to the summer fun.

Waking early after a night of broken sleep I felt quite edgy. I was at the butcher before 10 am and back from shopping by 11.15. Not quite what I planned. With time on my hands after lunch I took a drive in the country. Stopped for a pint at The Horns and sat in the garden with a pint of ale from the Oakham brewery. Very pleasant.

If you have been reading this week you may well be wondering how my return to teaching went. Much to my surprise anxiety stayed pretty much at bay. It rose in the morning but when I went in I felt more under control than I have for a long time. And I triumphed. Yes there was a laudable but naive objection from one of the 83 delegates who were there. But with help from another academic we overcame that.

Coming away with the words, brilliant, excellent and awesome ringing in my ears the danger was mania. The objection tempered any return of mania. I dwelt too much on what went wrong but I made it through without overwhelming anxiety, without too much of a sense of failure and without a scary swing of mood either way. I guess I ought to settle for that.

In my foolishness and slightly inebriated mood last night I invited not only Sarah but also Gary and Ali to lunch tomorrow. Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Will I regret that in the morning? I hope I get more sleep but I'm afraid for the waking. In the end it always pans out but oh to live without that fear that invitations bring.

Enjoy your weekend.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment