Monday 4 February 2019

Saying Goodbye, So Many Years Ago.

On a wet, grey Monday afternoon I found myself back in Cambridge waiting for a train. With nearly an hour to wait my mind drifted off to another time. Another time another place. To a sunny summer day. That day marked the end of one part of my life and the beginning of another.

I said a tearful goodbye to Rachel on that summer day all those years ago. A day later I graduated from Cambridge and the last bastion of my defence against mental illness crumbled into the dust. I would remain in touch physically with her for another four years. Then like a ghost she left my life without saying goodbye and was lost forever to posterity.

Silly really so long later to always remember that day when I pass through Cambridge. A few years later I returned to Cambridge hoping to rekindle that love affair with a place that has played so large a part in my life but that Cambridge had died long ago. Like us cities age and change. Deep down I would love to go home to Cambridge but I fear I'm better off sticking with what I know now rather than harken after an age long ago.

The rest of my journey was uneventful. The rain falls here too but I'm home in the warm with the radio on, some belly pork to roast and an evening of leisure. Work can wait until tomorrow. I had sincerely hoped that when I posted today I would be proclaiming the Los Angeles Rams as Super Bowl champions but sadly it wasn't to be. Half the team simply didn't show up as my American brethren put it. Who knows what the odds might have been on a 13-3 scoreline for two of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL. But that was that. Social media is lit up by angry Rams fans ranting. Sadly that sort of vitriol is all too common on the internet. Why do people have to be so vile and unkind when they are unhappy?

I will leave you now. Enjoy February, spring is not too far away now.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment