Thursday 14 February 2019

Tudor Music, Sunshine and an Enforced Break.

I don't very often get to hear Choral Evensong on Radio 3 in the week. Yesterday was different though. And so wonderful to hear music from the Renaissance. A turbulent time in England certainly. And Catholic Spain vying from supremacy. England uncertain of its religious identity it was a time of fear, suspicion and danger. But what music!

The broadcast was from Leeds Cathedral and featured both Tallis from England and Victoria from Spain. I didn't really get that sort of music when I was younger. We certainly recorded a number of masses from that century. They were lost on me as long and difficult. Now I rejoice at their magnificence.

Being home on a Wednesday was not exactly planned. As I alluded on Tuesday I have not been very well. What it is remains a mystery and my attempts to see a GP were in vain. Today at last though I'm beginning to feel better.

I didn't go in today but hope to tomorrow. I did take a drive and walk in the country. Unseasonably mild the sun shone and I listened to the songs of the birds. For the first time since the weekend I feel at peace.

Back at home I'm listening to Radio 3 once again with Falla's opera La Vide Breve. More music from Spain although a very different era. Recently I have felt that sense of wanting once again to go to Spain. To eat tapas. To enjoy the sun. To see the culture. Whether my anxiety or purse will allow that I'm not sure. I do hope one day I feel sufficiently strong and robust to travel again. It is something to look forward to.

Enjoy that beautiful day out there if you can.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment