Saturday 24 March 2018

A Day of Staunch Resistance.

Temptation was all around me today. Should I buy a bottle of Pimm's as it is Boat Race day? Do I buy the bottle of Barolo that is on offer? Should I go for a nice pub lunch at The Waggoners? In fact I did none of the aforementioned sins and resisted in a fine manner. Given my profligacy of recent weeks and months I need to make a stand somewhere and cut back somewhat.

Having resisted such delights I wandered home, had a chicken and cucumber sandwich for lunch, put on Classic FM and am now contemplating things domestic. My determination to keep on top of things in the new flat gets me down sometimes but I do have a feeling of virtuosity when I have completed a task or two.

Of far more interest to me are my exploits in the kitchen. I defrosted my shin of beef and it is now marinating in red wine, garlic, thyme, rosemary and bay ready for a slow cook of beef bourguignan later. Richard is coming to join me for that one. Tomorrow there is roast pork, more guests will sample my adventures.

Who will win the Boat Race today? I haven't really been following so I don't know what the form is. What I do know is that it is too cold and dull to start the Pimm's season as I traditionally do on such a day. Will wait until the sun comes out.

A thought crossed my mind this morning which has made me feel a little sad. My friend James is getting married in September and I was trying to work out logistics of somewhere to stay. Then it struck me that I cannot go as it coincides with my dinner in Cambridge. And the planned to trip to the Oval. Why does it all have to happen on the same weekend? Actually I suspect Charlie will have to forgo the cricket as well as he is best man.

I will leave you now to enjoy your weekend. Cheering for Cambridge starts around 4.30 with women's race then the men are on around 5.30. See you soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment