Wednesday 22 November 2017

An Unfortunate Postponement.

The way things have transpired today was not exactly as I planned them. The working day looked really busy but manageable. It is midweek opera day. And Sarah was going to come round for dinner. At the worst possible moment an irritating stomach bug seems to have grabbed hold of me and ruined the day.

Most of the morning was spent in bed. I slept in fits and starts and as so often happens when not well the weirdest and most obscure dreams haunted me. When I did get up I made a very brief foray out to buy some food to cook when I'm up to it. It was a blustery day with the last of the fall leaves swirling about in the breeze.

Back at home I spent most of the afternoon trying to stay awake, keep hydrated and watching the Good Food channel. It remains a staple of mine although I've seen nearly everything many times over. Seeing Rick Stein pan fry some floured herring made me think of mum. She still pops into my head from time to time, often at unexpected times.

With luck this affliction will disappear quickly. I have tentatively rescheduled dinner with Sarah for Friday. I will cook pan fried duck breasts done medium rare then rested with a sauce made from pomegranate molasses with some baby roast potatoes and some beans. I think I will also open my Gran Reserva bottle of Rioja. So fingers crossed I'm better by then.

The world ticks on towards Christmas. There are but three and a half week until the end of term. Autumn is closing and winter is coming. The cold brings sumptuous earthy dishes to my kitchen. Might have to do another game casserole. I found some partridge breasts that I can wrap bacon and put in the oven if I'm well enough to eat tomorrow. I suppose I ought to eat something tonight but not sure what. Nothing too rich or complicated.

I hope the rest of your week goes well. See you again soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment