Saturday 16 June 2012

Saying Goodbye.

It is 4.34 pm British Summer Time on 16th June 2012. It is a day of memories. I had planned to blog last night but it was too late, I was too tired and it had been too long a day. The day had been spent in Cambridge with my Malaysian friend Joey and 2 others. But my mind was not entirely on that day. It was back 22 years before in the very same place. Cambridge my home.

When I got home last night my mind was still on the past. On that day I had been at a Cambridge May Ball with 4 women. 3 I knew well, the other, the girl from Alabama was new to me. As we emerged into glorious sunlight the next day, the girl from Alabama and me, neither of us knew the cataclysmic earthquake that was about to engulf my life. For it was that morning that my madness struck in all its brutality on an unsuspecting fool. That fool was me. She was an unwitting witness.

That was the day my long journey started. Today that journey is over, the book is written and raved about and the new book, the what happened next book is currently captivating my friend on this quiet Saturday afternoon. Yesterday was a day to say goodbye, goodbye to Joey, and goodbye to those demons. Will they ever leave me completely? I doubt.

Joey flies home to Malaysia for good tomorrow. I doubt we shall meet again but she has enriched my life for the last 2 years. I am lucky to have such good friends.

Back in the reality of my life, England are being thumped in the rugby, my curry is marinading and I'm thinking of going to Kent tomorrow. I have not bee since my mum's funeral. Sadly I have to go to another one on Tuesday; another goodbye to my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment