Sunday 1 April 2012

The Solace of the Requiem

Hi all,

I'm back. It has been a few days. I am okay but very tired. We have been truly overwhelmed with messages, cards, calls, and texts since mum died on Wednesday. I am now back in Hertfordshire. My sister remains down in Kent with my dad for the time being.

So what have I been doing? Well, what I always do when someone dies-I listen to requiems. The mass for the dead has inspired glorious musical settings. I was lucky enough to record both the Faure and Durufle requiems when I was singing as a child. Our Faure recording is truly awful. The Durufle is quite astonishing, some say it is the greatest recording of the work in existence.

I now have a single CD with our recording of the Durufle and the Willcocks recording of the Faure. I have listened as a back drop to a sunny April afternoon. It brought some solace as it always does. Sadly I have listened to requiems so many time-I have buried too many friends. There will of course be others in the future.

After that I plan a quiet Sunday. Assam tea and fruit cake and then will cook rare roast beef for dinner. I also have fine bottle of rioja to go with it.

Back to work tomorrow. Somehow the troubles of the last few weeks don't seem to be important any more.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment