Saturday 7 April 2012

The Pimm's Season

For many Cambridge people like me today marks the start of the Pimm's season. Boat race day. I have just sat and watched one of most controversial races in years. An errant swimming forced a restart. Oxford pulled ahead but a clash of blades cost them their chance. I have been in boats where blades have almost exploded in collision. But rather than an epic celebration the collapse of one of Oxford's oarsmen has put a major downer on an amazing event.

On a cold and grey day it does not seem like time for Pimm's but being the traditionalist that I am I had one anyway.

I was actually in Cambridge yesterday. I went all the way specifically to hear the Miserere in King's only for a faulty kitchen clock to delay our departure too long. They didn't let us in. I was seething but in the light of recent events it is not really that important. But I could have done without the pompous arrogant gatekeeper who patronised us when we got there. Cambridge is full of egos yet King's takes the biscuit. I wonder what it would be like without that famous choir? Yes that choir I sang in for 5 years. Just another Cambridge College with fraudulent pretension to be left wing.

I'm off now until  a week Monday. Still desperately tired but not feeling too bad. I have to see the Occupational Health Doctor on Wednesday then hoping to visit my dad on Thursday. I need to get writing this week-I'm losing momentum. Yet the end of the book is so nearly in sight.

More soon.

I Heard a Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment