Sunday 4 June 2017

Words Fail Me.

In the near seven years that I have been writing this blog I have never really known who out there actually reads it. I know the number of hits each month. I know my dad and sister read along with a handful of friends. But in the main I'm in the dark. For all of you though who honour me by reading my thoughts please be assured that I am safe after the terrible attack on my beloved Borough Market last night.

My first venture into the iconic market was in 1994 when I was an in patient at Guy's. It wasn't quite so well used or touristy then and I didn't really appreciate what I had on my doorstep. Many years on in my foodie middle age it is one of my favourite places in London. Many friends have been there with me. Whilst people on social media may tire of my constant culinary escapades it is without doubt fundamental to all our lives.

That I was not in London yesterday is clearly fortuitous. But as events unfolded people began contacting me to check that I was safe. I am safe but on any given Saturday I might well not have been.

I try not to make political points on here. Before I have mentioned our lands ravaged by this war including the lands that some uneducated and extreme viewed people see as our enemies. For those who have followed closely since this terrorist battle became overwhelming on 9/11 markets have often been targets. Many thousands of people have died in such attacks. And now once again my country has been hit.

Being so close to my emotional heart I'm struggling to control that emotion. I am moved that my friends think enough of me to check up on me. Will it stop me going once more to Borough Market? My answer is that anywhere is a potential target. I cannot stop shopping or eating because I'm scared. The world has been gripped by collective madness for all these years.

People of all beliefs come together in their humanity. We are all human and worthy of love, compassion and collective support in the face of such barbarism by a small radical hard line perversion of what is a belief system shared by many in this world.

On this Sunday I am in shock and sadness. My thoughts are with those caught up in the carnage purely because they chose a night out in my favourite London haunt. It could well have been me.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment