Wednesday 7 June 2017

On the Cusp of What?

I'm not a betting man. But I suspect the odds two years ago of David Cameron winning an election outright, him resigning over a referendum some say he was forced to hold, Britain leaving the EU, Donald Trump being the 45th president of the USA, Theresa May calling a snap election with what seemed an unassailable lead to tomorrow's vote where Jeremy Corbyn could become the most unlikely Prime Minister in history would all have seemed pretty remote.

That that can possibly have gone down in the history books of the second decade of the third millenium is staggering. Is it really possible? We will find out in the early hours of Friday morning.

As for me I'm still unconvinced by any of them and wavering on what to do. But I will make the short walk to my local primary school after work tomorrow to exercise my precious right to choose. But I simply don't know who we collectively will choose.

Enough of that though. It is Wednesday night so opera is on. It has been a mixed week for me. The early part of the week was marred by headaches, nausea and bad sleep with a few nightmares thrown in. In the face of that I found life hard going. I appear to have righted myself now but given past week's reflections on my blog posts from 2016 and 2017 it has been a pretty rocky couple of years. Anxiety seems to be a dominant theme yet it comes and goes as it pleases with very limited warning.

I had my supervision today which was good. A chance to ruminate with an outsider it gives a different perspective as well as an opportunity to say what needs to be said without upsetting people. That I went more than a year without a supervisor may well have contributed to my rocky times. But I have it now.

The fall out from the devastating recent terrorist attacks weighs heavily on many. Dory had hoped to go to Borough Market on Friday. Not sure if that will go ahead. I will return but not sure when. The bloody conclusion of Saturday took place a mere 20 yards from Brindisa. That should be shocking but given I passed within 100 yards of the site of The Admiral Duncan pub that was bombed in 1998 a few hours earlier and that a bomb was planted in the phone box directly outside my then favourite China Town haunt in 1997 I have had some close shaves. We have faced bombings before but this is such a different threat. How do you stop what happened on Saturday? I do not know. But I will return.

My culinary adventure tonight took me to Hanoi for my version...amateur...of Cha Ca fried fish with turmeric and dill. Not sure what the Vietnamese would make of it but I liked it. Back to my reading now so see you after the election.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment