Thursday 29 June 2017

Movement is Your Friend.

At 8 am I woke with a start in a great deal of pain. I had been warned that it might be thus but haven't really experienced such physical pain since I turned over one morning after playing rugby at Selwyn and couldn't move in the 2nd year. It hurt. Realising going in my might be futile I called in somewhat bleary and cancelled the day.

The reason for such pain was not only the mystery neck and shoulder problems but my first ever trip to see a physio yesterday. Over the course of recent years my dealings with the University Physiotherapy department and my support to their students has increased. Now I have an idea of what they do and how hard it is to train.

My visit was extremely painful but very helpful. It transpires I have a neck vertebrae problem which is causing my Trapezius muscle on the left side to spasm. Hence the intense pain. Despite that discomfort at no stage have I worried it was anything serious contrary to the observations of others. It is not serious, it will heal but it will take time...and pain.

The forthcoming advice was "movement is your friend". Keep getting up from sitting, stretch it and get moving. And to eat when taking anti inflammatory medication.

So in some discomfort after a lengthy sleep I ventured forth into a dull day, walked about aimlessly to get that exercise, bought nothing but a pint of milk and returned home.

Back here I'm listening to Massenet's opera Werther on the radio and wondering how long my incapacitation will last. With luck I can go back in tomorrow. I certainly have more movement in my head and neck but at some cost. I'm booked in for more physio next week.

My travails of recent weeks have been unexpected. It is hard to make a judgement on my mood as pain distracts. Fortunately my tooth seems to be finally settling down so one less thing to worry about.

Gary is cooking me dinner tonight. So a gentle walk up the hill, some good company and a nice sausage casserole await me.

See you all soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment