Saturday 30 January 2021

The Cloak of Darkness.

Night is falling enveloping my land in a veil of darkness. It's been a filthy day here. Cold, wet, sleet and snow. Waking late I struggled to get out of bed and motivate myself to do anything. But I got up, did some cleaning, did the washing, took the rubbish and recycling out and made myself a nice halloumi and grape salad with oregano and lemon juice for my lunch. Then mid afternoon I made a rendang paste.

Now my flat has the wondrous aroma of beef rendang, the clothes are clean, the bathroom is more useable and I'm in for the night. I did a little reading after all that housework. Had a couple of glasses of Picpoul de Pinet. And listening to Classic FM.

Days like today are not good but being indoors in the warm is preferable to getting soaked and frozen outside. Now I just have to decide what to do after my rendang. The choices are the opera Faust on Radio 3, some NFL action from two weeks ago, a film or just watch cooking programmes. Not bad choices.

Another working week is done. Thursday was pretty bruising, once again faced with angry and aggressive students I was not at my best but I did what I could. I'm trying to remain philosophical about work. Some days are good and some days are bad. But I keep going.

The news on the lockdown does not feel great. They are now saying pubs and restaurants may not be open until May. Great for my finances but that is a long time for me to get back to my favourite past times. People keep telling me how resilient I am. Today feels okay but what about three weeks? Six weeks? Two months? Entirely alone that is a hard ask.

To get through though I must take it a step at a time, I must read, I must cook, and I must listen to my opera. These are my solitary pleasures in life.

Until next time, take care.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment