Sunday 9 August 2020

Deceived by the Morning.

When I left my flat this morning to get my Sunday Times it looked like we were in for a cooler day. After the recent stifling heat and humidity I felt a little fresher. But not a bit of it. As I left the flat again in the early afternoon for a walk the temperature was soaring to 33 degrees. A short walk and a pint then returned to to comparative cool of my flat.

My recent instability seems to have righted itself for the time being at least. My week was highlighted by being shocked to win an award from our Student Union. So much of what we do goes un-noticed by many. The ringing anger of people saying mental health services are shit and no one cares occupies my thoughts more than the many I have helped over the years. Yes some years ago I was twice shortlisted for a Vice Chancellor's award as Employee of the Year. But that is unusual. Much of the time feels pretty bleak. The important thing is that the two near misses and this recent success were at the recommendation of students rather than my friends nominating me.

Another week is now down and I have two weeks until my holiday. Small matter of root canal before then though so I anticipate rising anxiety coming up. But after the week I have had a glorious weekend.

The sun shone, the cricket ended in glory as England beat the odds to come from a long way back to beat Pakistan, and I did a BBQ at Jo's last night. Thai red curry prawn kebabs, lamb kofte, Korean beef kebabs and Thai BBQ pork skewers. The beef went a little wrong but triumphed with the rest. And Jo's piri piri sardines were a revelation.

So I'm set up for another week. I'm listening to Handel with a glass of wine. Gammon goes in to roast shortly. There was an interesting piece on Matt Haig in the Sunday Times magazine; if you haven't read his Reasons to Stay Alive you must. A bottle of Rioja will accompany my dinner.

Until next time have a good week everyone.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment