Thursday 16 August 2012

Something Different.

Today has been different to the norm. I had a visitor from a neighbouring university down for the day. She went into the equivalent job to time a year before I started. When I was appointed in 2007, going to visit Jill was one of the first ports of call.

Our jobs can be very lonely. We do difficult stuff sometimes and we mainly work alone. Where I am it is a department of 11 counsellors, an administrator and me. In Jill's place she too is alone. We are part of a network of mental health advisors called UMHAN. We meet 3 times a year which is very helpful but rarely see each other more than that. In most places they have a mental health advisor and a lot of counsellors. What is the difference? Good question. Well I have 3 answers:

1. They get paid a hell of a lot more than me-hence my long running battle.
2. They are virtually in therapy all the time they work-my supervision is not about therapy.
3. I talk back!

A student from Malaysia came to visit me recently at the suggestion of her friend who I see from time to time. I was aware she had seen a counsellor before so I asked her why she didn't go back there. "I wanted some advice" was the answer. I have no idea why but people think I give good advice.

I enjoyed today. Whether we meet again in this context only time will tell. With luck in a couple of months I will have a different job.

The other good news is that my second editor Colin has now finished "Charon's Ferry". I will work my way through his suggestions in the next few days. Then, and it has been a long time coming I will send it to my publisher.

For now I sit contented after making Moroccan chicken kebabs-there are some left for tomorrow-drink a beer and listen to David Bowie on my very temperamental CD player. I guess that will have to be my next purchase.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment