Saturday 11 August 2012

A Festival of Pork.

It is very hard to make a true judgement on this last week. Life has been very up and down but appears to be looking up. The one constant over the last 7 days is food. I have been out far more than normal.

Last Sunday I had lunch with my dad, Beka, her mum Anne, and my old friend Heather. There is a very nice pub deep in the Kent country side in the village of Stowting called the Tiger-http://www.tigerinn.co.uk/ . Well worth a visit although I did have the most disgusting meal of my life there a number of years ago-it has changed hands since then. Good beer too. Looking at the menu my thoughts as ever turned to my beloved belly pork. Anne however commented that " I bet it is not as good as yours". Recalling my last visit she was right. I settled for shoulder of lamb and it was very fine. The thought of belly remained though.

Monday was truly awful but in response to my unexpected job windfall on Wednesday I went to the Fu Hao. Ribs and roast pork were the order of the day.

On Thursday I ate with colleagues in Chiquitos-not what I would have chosen but the Texas Chilli Dog was better than expected. And yesterday I had lunch with the excellent Dory on a beautiful sunny afternoon. That took a rare turn when I ordered smoked mackerel. I don't eat fish often but I do like smoked mackerel. Never had it hot though.

And so to the weekend. Having made what looks like an excellent chicken stock I thought of doing the Ants Climbing the Tree but sadly there was no sign of minced pork anywhere. But I did find belly. So it is Thai Belly Pork with Five Spice, coriander and eggs all braised in chicken stock with nam pla, soy, and palm sugar tonight and slow roast belly with rosemary and thyme tomorrow. I have an excellent wine for tomorrow too that Dory gave me. It is always worth celebrating pork-a true festival.

I applied for a new job today and will apply for another when it is advertised on Tuesday. I can feel change in the air-keep everything crossed for me.

Bye for now.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment