Saturday 3 December 2011

A Stand In.

Greetings from a rather chilly Hertfordshire.

It has been a most interesting week. As I mentioned in my last post my friend Beka came to visit last weekend. Her and Mike took me out for a delicious Sunday lunch at the Waggoners at Ayot Green.

It's not often that I am stunned by news but this was one such occasion. Beka and Mike are planning to get married next year. What I really didn't expect was that she would ask me to give her away! What an amazing offer. Of course I said yes but it was only later that the enormity of it dawned on me.

Beka's dad who very sadly died a few years ago was the pianist Ronald Smith. Hailed as a genius for his ability to play the fiendishly difficult works of Alkan he was an astonishing larger than life character. So how on earth could I possibly stand in? I am good at speeches, am quite happy to wear a morning suit if required but will definitely stop short of dancing-I simply don't do that!

It is a great honour and privilege to stand in for such a distinguished figure and has been on my mind all week. So it has been a good week.

And what of today? A quiet day. Got my hair cut then accidentally bought a couple of things in a sale-that certainly wasn't planned. I'm now cooking some Greek lamb steaks marinaded in dill, olive oil, garlic and lemon-smells good. And tomorrow that old favourite, roast shoulder of pork!

Only two weeks to go then I'm on holiday. It has been a long term so I could do with the rest.

More soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment