Saturday 27 November 2010

And Stop There!

After another week of chaos I have decided to dedicate this weekend to cooking and sport. Not sure if I've mentioned my love of sport before on here. Long gone are my days of playing rugby, American Football and rowing but I'm still an avid fan. I love cricket too but not so good at playing it.

So am settling down to some mixed results today; England lost the rugby and it looks like they'll lose the first Test in Brisbane. But not to worry, West Ham won for a change and am off to watch the University play American Football tomorrow if I'm not snowed in. Had some fabulous news in the week when I heard the Cambridge University Pythons American Football team is re-forming. I was president from 1990 to 1991, what a long time ago that was!

Funny how life changes. 16 years ago my prognosis when I left hospital was "likely to commit suicide within 6 months". Now that's hopeful from those who are supposed to help. Well I have news, I'm still here!

Talking of mental health I see the natives are getting restless on the benefits front. Lots of quite unpleasant stuff on the Mind website. Perhaps people have a point but I am the living embodiment of what can be done if you take risks, get the right help-even if it was 11 years too late-and seeing what life brings. I came off benefits partially in 1999 and completely in 2002. It took my another 8 years before I was better off but it was the best thing I ever did. My job may be under threat but I can't do anything about that, what will be will be.

Anyway, to food. Carbonnade of beef is in the oven and smelling delicious. It will be accompanied by mashed potatoes and cabbage with garlic, shallots and parsley. All washed down with a splendid bottle of rioja courtesy of my friend Richard who who will be coming over soon. Now that is way to spend a weekend, good company and good food.

For those purests amongst you, and there are some out there reading this, rioja is probably not the wine to go with it. But my experience of many French reds has been dreadful so am sticking to a good earthy and robust Spanish option instead.

Have a great weekend!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment