Saturday 6 November 2010

God Belly of Pork is Good!

I've decided that today is a food post day! It's been a long and at times stressful week but it is now a quiet Saturday night, I'm drinking beer and feeling quite virtuous.

Having done the things I needed to do including cleaning which I hate, then I settled down to watch the rugby-thought England did well but not quite well enough! Then my thoughts turned to food. Some weeks ago I came across a website that is celebration of food-heaven for me! So I turned to said website and discovered a food survey (please see below).

One of the questions was about which dish is most impressive in one's offerings. Straight away I recalled the wonderful slow roasted belly pork with fennel seeds and garlic from Sam and Sam Clark's Moro book! But that was a coincidence for today as I had belly strips in the fridge. Sadly the usually equally wonderful twice cooked Szechuan belly pork was not quite so good today. But hey ho, sometimes we all fuck up!

When I stared cooking many years ago no one ever thought about belly; far too fatty. Now it seems to be on the menu of so many places. And of course there are so many ways to cook it; braised, roasted, stir fried. If one is clever it very easy to render out the fat which makes so just melt in one's mouth; shear decadence!

Tomorrow my thoughts turn to shoulder of lamb roasted with garlic, rosemary and thyme. And home made mint sauce. Now that is what quiet weekends are all about!

Until next time,

I Heard a Voice.

PS Take the survey!

http://www.theholyquail.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment