Sunday 7 November 2010

An Expose?

It's a quiet Sunday afternoon. Had my roast lamb which would have been better had I actually remembered to make the mint sauce and not put too much rioja in the gravy. Now drinking more rioja, listening to Perlman and Ashkenazy's brilliant recording of the Beethoven violin sonatas and contemplating last night.

Quite a good night really. Not as tired as Friday and had some interesting conversations about many things. Also had a conversation with someone I've never met before.

There's something about smoking ban that almost forces smokers to get to know one another outside. That duly happened. Whilst talking to a teacher and exercising my lungs the conversation came round to her two dogs. I hate dogs but whenever they are mentioned I always end up talking about the book.

She sounded quite interested which is good. Then she said something most unexpected: "Is it an expose?". Never been asked that before. I guess in a way it is.

The brutal realism of "A Pillar of Impotence" exposes the failings of care in the community, the limitations of the System and those who work it, and of course what happens when it goes wrong. I do not always come out in a good light either but I wanted to tell the truth. Or at least truth through my own mad and deluded eyes.

When I worked for Statutory Services I always wondered if I would lose my job when it came out. So in a way it is a relief that I no longer work there. But of course there will always be the reaction of the university.

But I'm taking the big gamble for more noble reasons. The truth has to be exposed and so be it if it causes scandal. In reality I probably won't sell enough books to warrant any interest anyway; I'm just not that important!

So I return to Beethoven and my rioja. Have a great Sunday.

I Herad a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment