Thursday 16 September 2010

The Annual Day in Court

Does anyone else get pissed off having to do appraisals at work? Do they have a real purpose? And of course the biggest question of all, what do I get out of them?

Today was my annual appraisal. It is the one event of the year that I really dread. Much to my surprise I came out of it feeling okay. Not sure what we have achieved, but hey, one less thing to worry about.

It was indeed in sharp contrast to last year when the most I learned was never really trust anyone, they could (and sometimes do) stab you in the back. I came away furious last year, not with my manager-that would be shooting the messenger-after someone in the very senior position whom I had only ever met over lunch decided to do just that.

But we will see how the next few months pans out, said person may discover that my book is out. I doubt it because I'm not that really important and said person no longer works there.

Life is indeed fickle, try to do something good and there is always someone there to snipe. That I suppose is the risk of writing a book. It has been a very long haul, from 2002 until the present, but am in the home straight now. The underlying fear always has been how the book will be received. Whilst it would be delightful if lots of people read it, I am then a target, ready to be judged.

For years I would never have been able to cope with that, hence the lengthy delay between deciding to write and actually doing it. And of course I had to be well enough to do it.

If I were to start the book today it might look different. But not radically so.

Maybe there will be the judgement of many before my next annual day in court.

Will probably be away from the blog for a week or so, having a busy week of conferences and parties which will probably keep off line completedly.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment