Wednesday 14 June 2017

Darkness and Light.

On a day when tragedy once again visited London knowing where to start is so hard. The bleakness of the news that seems in a way to emphasise the divisions in our society. How can a tower block completely burn out in a terrifying ordeal for those who lived there? It is the 21st century in a modern wealthy society. That many of those caught up in this disaster are amongst the poorer people of our land stands out on this terrible day. The generosity of others is lighting up social media. I fear for the death toll. And the recriminations will come. It is not a day to make political points as some are trying to do but it raises so many questions.

For all the darkness engulfing West London both literally and figuratively speaking there was some joy in East London. For today Borough Market reopened in an act of remembrance that I wish I had witnessed. As that disaster unfolded 10 days ago I was fearful of return. Not today though. Work and the dentist stopped me going to support my friends there whose names I do not know and who know not my name. But they are my friends down there.

After all my fear today's visit to the dentist went very smoothly. Such a different experience to my last set of work done in 1999. She talked me through, gave me head phones to listen to sounds from the 60s, anaesthetised gently then painlessly did what needed to be done. I'm hoping that is it but given that the damage was more extensive that we had hoped further difficult treatment may be needed.

I'm in some discomfort now as she told me was likely to happen. Not anything that a couple of paracetamol can't remedy.

I managed to eat. To Thailand once again for prawns with holy basil. Came out pretty well and not as fiery as it might have been. At a loose end last night I precooked a Chang Mai belly pork curry for later in the week. Had a little taste as it was cooling, it was what Bronwen would call "an angry curry". When I met her she said she didn't eat fiery food but eats what I bring, says she doesn't like pork yet consumes with relish my offerings. Now I must convert her to rare beef.

Bizet is currently on the radio, quite enjoying it. I think I will listen to Puccini after. Please stay safe out there and do not let the fears of anxiety hound you. Tragedies happen sadly and we can all be lucky that we will mainly be fine even if the great deceiver that is anxiety tells you different.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment