Monday 8 November 2021

The Time Has Come.

 In about 90 minutes the gathering will commence, we will talk, we will drink, and we will say goodbye. That 14 years I have spent at the university has been a complete rollercoaster. Highs, lows, chaos, triumphs and ultimately farewell.

I once likened my job to being set for the the starting gun to go off in a 100 metre sprint. You hear set, prepare and then when needed go. High octane stuff and very exhausting.

So now I have done my time. At 5 pm I will drive home from here for the last time. What a run it has been! And never bored.

Whether I leave a legacy is for others to decide. But I made my mark and all these years later I hope I have done some good.

Some students stay in touch, some get in touch, and some forget. They say I saved their lives. I didn't, all I did was talk to people.

The experience has been pretty brutal at times but I have always tried to keep students at the centre of it all. In my interview I stated my firmly held belief that education is the key to mental health recovery. I think that is what swung it for me. Little, quiet, unknown me.

With that I leave you. I may be away some time as I will no longer have a laptop after today and my desktop is on its last legs. 

So wish me well as I head towards the sunset. I will rise again at the dawn of the following Monday when the next chapter of my life begins.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment