Friday 5 November 2021

Monday is Coming.

You find me on a cold November afternoon tidying up loose ends. In half an hour the working week will be over. I have a weekend to look forward to. Lots of cooking, relaxing, wine and friends are on the agenda. And then comes the big day.

On Monday a gathering will take place on the College Lane campus of the University of Hertfordshire. It may be a small gathering or it may be large. Whatever happens it will be memorable and probably emotional. I will be leaving the place I've worked in after 14 years.

The last time I changed jobs only two people turned up. Most suspect Monday will attract an extensive audience. Having spent the last couple of weeks letting students know I am leaving the news went out more widely on Wednesday.

To say I've been overwhelmed with kindness and praise is something of an understatement. It has been stunning. So many are wishing me well. I don't handle praise well but the fact people are coming in specifically to say goodbye must mean I have done something right over the years.

On Wednesday a student came in specifically to meet me for the first time. We have conversed on the phone for two years. Armed with a box of chocolates and a lovely card we talked. When I said I learned many years ago that I couldn't save the world she interrupted me and simply said "you saved my world". So touching.

The future looks both bright and frightening but I will try to embrace it with the same zeal I have always had for mental health.

No doubt I will be expected to speak at the gathering. I'm good at that but fear I may forget my lines. Then it will be over.

I Heard a Voice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment