Saturday 28 November 2020

A Rare Calm.

Hello on a Saturday night. You will not often find me on here then but here I am. It has been a dank, cold and overcast day here but I'm in good spirits. That's what taking a few days off does for the soul. And for once I have felt serenely calm during my time away. That has to be a good thing.

With all the lockdown stuff I had some left over holiday for last academic year so as it was Thanksgiving on Thursday I decided to take a two day break from reality. And it has really worked. Sublime roast turkey and the NFL, fine wine and lots of sleep have really righted the ship.

Of course it has gone much more quickly than I would have hoped but any break from the mental chaos is a good thing.

My kitchen has been busy. From Thanksgiving turkey to Turkish liver wraps seasoned with cumin, Aleppo pepper and oregano, pan fried mackerel fillet dusted in gram flour, sumac and cumin with pomegranate seeds and molasses dressing to beef bourguignon. I have mainly triumphed. Tomorrow my old friend roast belly pork. It is great to celebrate freedom.

As Handel opera plays I'm supping some very ordinary French red wine and doing some reading. Not had a lot of chance recently given the NFL commitments.

Away from my little world we come out of lockdown on Wednesday to a very changed freedom. In fact many will have none at all including dad. As things stand I will not be driving down for my annual Christmas break. The restrictions are too great. So I must prepare for my first Christmas at home for nine years. Of course I can triumph but I will miss dad and all my friends. Will this vaccine save the day next year? We can but hope so.

That is all beyond my control though. So I will leave you to your evening and return to my wine. Stay safe everyone.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment