Wednesday 18 November 2020

Release From Prison.

A little under a week has now gone by since I was released into an autumn night. Never before have I valued freedom as much as this. Being shut in for nine days created a mental downturn different to any of my many hell holes I've been in. Not depressed just desolate. On some days I could barely drag myself out of bed. I figured though that it is better to have something rather than nothing. True my work capacity was impaired but I got through those days.

When freedom came at midnight last Thursday I walked out into the night simply because I could. There was no one on the street. A couple of police cars drove past, and a pair of civilian cars. Nothing stirred beside that. And it was wondrous.

On Saturday as the rain poured down I went out and embraced the day. I got wet and muddy but somehow to be enveloped in rain gave an amazing sense of wellbeing and freedom. Not all people in this world are free. I learned a lot of what the world must be like for many. And it wasn't pretty.

Now it is opera night and I reflect. Mozart plays, I cook and I read. My kitchen adventures have had mixed results. I overcooked the extremely expensive rib of beef I bought to celebrate my freedom. Yet it tasted wonderful. To Thailand and China I have been and today to Turkey. A dish called Kapuska, a revelation! Spiced cabbage with minced lamb and tomato topped with Aleppo pepper and parsley served with warmed pitta.

Thus far the working week has gone mainly to plan. No confrontation. No arguments, No aggression. Long may that last.

Tomorrow I go to campus and Jess will do her thing, blitzing through my flat like a whirling Dervish and order will be restored. The weekend is not far off. I have a short week after that as I'm taking a couple of days off for Thanksgiving. Roast turkey, roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots, cabbage, gravy and cranberry sauce. For all my American friends on here not sure how genuine my attempt will be but I will enjoy it.

Maybe see you all at the weekend.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment