Saturday 28 March 2020

Beauty in Dark Days.

I watched the sun rise in the eastern sky. A glorious orange orb low on the horizon. And I saw the sun set in the western sky lighting up my living room with ever moving sunbeams. The world may be in dark times but there is still light and beauty in dark days. That was yesterday.

Today dawned colder, greyer and windier. A big change but I did see a glimpse of the sun during my afternoon walk. I am only allowed out once a day. In the week it was at night. There silence but for the occasional sound of an empty bus and distant clatter of deserted trains headed to Cambridge. This afternoon the cross of St George still fluttered over St John's church and there were a few people out. A dad and his two boys playing football on the abandoned cricket club. The square is no longer sacred and there will be no Test matches this summer. A short line of people queueing for the shop. A small family out for a walk with the mother covering her face as we passed a suitable distance apart.

I survived almost a week working from home. My wifi decided to play tricks at various points but generally went well. I know how to use Zoom now, I am entering the 21st century. The general stress and confrontation that sometimes enters my work place has gone. People are kind and respectful.

There is fear of course. But it doesn't lie with me. Amazingly my anxiety has vanished and I'm upbeat and positive. I'm hoping this catastrophe if that is what it turns out to be brings profound change to our society. Fiona our chaplain is lifting some of my thoughts for her Sunday sermon.

Dad, Miriam and Nigel are all fine. We are adapting. Who would have thought before this I would be able to survive a whole week not setting foot in a pub?

I'm keeping people entertained with my culinary adventures. I drove out to Gareth's yesterday lunch time, there was no queue and he was well stocked with meat. So tomorrow roasted belly pork will adorn my plate. Tonight there will be steak and chips and a glass of Rioja.

As has gripped this country we are suddenly in awe of all those people who risk themselves to keep us fed, watered, de-rubbished and able to travel. To those keeping the water, gas, electricity and internet going. And our extraordinary health and social care workers. I salute them all.

We will get through this. Keep going a day at a time. Focus on what you can do. Enjoy your brief engagement with nature. In this time money, fast cars, big houses and trappings of wealth and "success"have all diminished in value. We are all the contents of our fridge, cupboard dependent. We all need to stay clean, safe and ordered. Let us come together as we have now in a way I've rarely known in my lifetime.

See you tomorrow.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment