Friday 18 November 2011

Beauty in and Urban Hell.

The town where my university exists is horrible. Run down and chaotic it is a melting pot of people and has areas of extreme poverty. It is not exactly big but feels very urban and ugly. Not the nicest of environments. During the summer I was not happy to discover that for the second time in a year I would be forced to move offices. This time to a site off campus. The folly of that move is plain when one realises I had my 38th visit to campus today since September. There is a plus side, hopefully the exercise will reduce the size of my beer gut.

The new office is just that, an office block. But it does have one redeeming feature, a beautiful if very small lake with a fountain. On the sunny days, and I guess we have been very lucky with those this autumn, it is nice to sit there when I go out for a cigarette. But it has been even better the last two weeks as my calm has been enhanced by a beautiful and large heron that has taken up residence there.

I know nothing about birds but can marvel at such beauty in an otherwise desolate place. I wonder how long it will stay?

As with my last post it has been another tough week. Feeling shattered so very glad it is Friday. My friend Katherine is coming to visit from London tomorrow. Slow roast Moroccan shoulder of lamb is on the menu with two middle Eastern salads. That should be fun.

Take care and have a great weekend.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment