Sunday 3 April 2011

A Busy Week

I return after something of an absence-I'm back! Much has gone on since I last came on here and most of it has been good. The last week in particular has been quite intense.

On Wednesday I had the great privilege of delivering a lecture to the Islamic University-Gaza on mental health recovery. No I didn't travel there-I'm told it is very hard to get a visa-but rather worked on videolink for the first time. A truly memorable experience despite the translation breaks an interruption by 3 of the most senior people in MH in Gaza. Went really well and came away buzzing.

Thursday took me to a conference at Hatfield House. Never been there before-most beautiful. It was an interesting day but we spent much of it trying to reinvent the mental health/employment wheel and realising that there is way too much duplication going on. The odd thing is that no one dared raise the question of where are the job for service users to go to? Perhaps people were too scared to ask. Had two lovely ladies from DWP there talking about benefits-I asked a searching but not too scary question of them.

But the point remains, who is going to employ all these people deemed "fit for work"? You never know with our cuts in funding, maybe I will join them soon!

Completing my marathon week I travelled to Birmingham on Friday to speak a conference on wellbeing for staff in the HEI sector. Went very well, just wasn't too impressed with the 5.45 am get up!

So after all that it has been a weekend. Friend visiting, lots of cooking and a couple of trips to the pub. Went to watch some American Football this afternoon but the home team were so bad I gave up at half time!

Back home now doing the washing and slow roasting some belly pork-Sundays were made for the latter!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment