Monday 5 November 2018

Destination Foodie!

Hello out there on this bonfire night. Remember remember the 5th of November, gunpowder, treason and plot. So says a saying in England that may or may not date back to 1605. If you are going to fireworks tonight wrap up warm and stay safe. I'm staying home.

This day marks two other events, the day I first stepped into a classroom in 1999 with my friend Rachel and taught for the first time. If I recall it wasn't a disaster but we weren't great. And according to Facebook this is the day in 2011 when I posted a glorious photo of my book launch. Sadly three people who were there are now dead. My mum. I saw her smile that day and realised I had made peace with her. My friend Sue who died o so young and full of life. And my friend Jackie who fought mental illness much of her life and succumbed to lung cancer after years smoking to help her deal with the monster that can be mental illness.

You find me this bonfire night at home, tired after a long and difficult day, smiling, not quite flying but thriving, listening to Mozart and sipping a glass of Medoc. More than halfway through term I'm doing great. So I awarded myself an extra opera night and decided to come on here and speak. Things are going well!

The weekend took me to see Miriam. On Saturday morning we went to Bury St Edmunds and had a lovely day out. And what a place for foodies, artisan shops, real butchers, a wonderful market and a buzzing vibe. I came home having consumed some fine cheese and splashed out on fine pates and some quince jelly.

So as to keep the food thing going I indulged in a rare ribeye, chips, minted petit pois, griddled tomatoes, watercress and mustard with the aforementioned Medoc. What a wonderful way to spend a Monday night.

With that I leave you. Maybe see you again at the weekend.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment