Sunday 11 November 2018

A Century on, a War to End All Wars?

Gold and russet hues glitter and shimmer in the autumn sunlight. What a glorious day! A couple of hours from now the sun will have sunk in the west and once again my country will be back in the darkness of coming winter.

Today we mark a century since the end of what some call the Great War, some World War I and others the War to End All Wars. I stood alone in my flat for the two minute silence at 11.00 am along with the rest of my country to remember the glorious dead. I watched the Cenotaph Service and the laying of wreaths. In these divided times former enemies are united and we remember what was.

Tragically it was not the War to End All Wars. Still we fight in an uncertain chaotic world. Nearly 30 years on from the end of the Cold War the great nations of the world are re-arming. For what? The dread of war and catastrophe that hung over my childhood seems to be returning. Can we learn from today? We must.

On a much smaller and less significant note I'm doing well. Awesome on Friday, more reticent yesterday and today the mood is elevated but not over the top. Given what a hard week it was I'm doing great. It was a week in which we creaked, we bent but we did not yield. Most of those we feared for are safe now. Well at least they were last Friday. Just one more to worry about.

Opera day has taken me from Mozart to Handel. The roast beef was sublime, roast potatoes on a par with my friend Jo's and the wine very good. The paper is read and I'm settled for a quiet afternoon.Tonight I get to see the Rams play again. No longer unbeaten they are still a team to be feared.

This coming week promises to be long as I have to work at an open day on Saturday. But then I'm off for a week and heading to the seaside to see dad. Before then though there is the little matter of 30th anniversary drinks with my cohort from Lancing. Dreading it in some way but experience has told me that what was then may no longer be now. We all grow up and in middle age I hope we have lost the foolish foibles of youth.

Enjoy your Sunday.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment