Wednesday 14 November 2018

Rising Crescent in a Hazy Sky.

A shade after 4.30 this afternoon I stepped outside my office block to use my puffer for a few minutes. As the sun set in the west a hazy twilight sky revealed a rising crescent moon. Can we really be that close to winter that the moon is out at that time in the afternoon? I wondered at the beauty of nature for those brief few minutes.

The pace of action has reached frenetic now. Had everyone turned up today who I was expecting I would have seen eight students. Each day this week I've had to deal with emergency drop ins. And each day seeming brings another overdose. The world fears that word but for me it is an every day topic of conversations. Most days suicide is mentioned several times. Such is the nature of my work and life.

Yet still I sail serenely on. There have been glimpses of the fear but only fleetingly. I'm working hard but mainly triumphing. I could not have imagined that back in those tentative days when with great pessimism and terror I returned to work after such a long break.

By the end of this week we will have completed three quarters of the term. I'm off next week so the end is in sight. I'll take that.

Back in my flat Verdi is tonight's composer. His opera Oberto has accompanied a busier than normal Wednesday evening. I did the washing, cooked a ferociously hot Thai squid dry curry, tidied up and sorted things out until it was time get on with my book.

I'm nearing the end of Goodbye to Berlin. Whilst I admire it in parts it has been a little disappointing. Next I will go back to E M Forster with Howard's End next on my list. With luck next time it is opera night I will be ready to start that.

The audience for my musings seems rather erratic at the moment. Every other day or two there is an alleged surge of readers in Italy but I'm suspicious as it's always the same and no one says anything. My failures in cyberland do not really run to what might really be going on. So as my figures remain buoyant I hope it is not my delusion that people can and do want to read what I have to offer. Well at least I know my dad and the lovely Ros keep me going by humouring my ego. Until next time.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment