Wednesday 8 August 2018

To and From Italy.

The fierce heat has finally broken. Softened by gentle breezes and less intense sun the world outside is a little easier to manage than in recent weeks. You find me as usual on opera night. Relaxing to Don Giovanni, a couple of books which I'm dipping in and out of and the prospect of a cold beer later.

The week has been shorter than normal as I had Monday off. We had a wonderful trip to market. Aside from glorious food and shopping we met a delightful young woman who hails from Naples who was working as a waitress in Brindisa. She told us how kind and polite we were to take the time to talk to her. The implication is that many customers are not like that. I asked about post Brexit hostility and the arrogance and racism that is displayed by some in my country. It was sad that this young woman who was a nurse was uncertain of what will happen to her in this time of great change.

How hard is it to be polite and kind to people like her? Sarah tells me regularly of the arrogance and hostility of some customers where she works. I only really see glimpses where I work where some think their needs come above those of other people. It makes me sad that people can be like that. I don't respond too well to that vibe.

Returning to work yesterday my anxiety remains there, the count down is ever closer and the summer slow down still holds. Today I spent some time with a young man I have known for several years. After many battles he finally got his first. And by curious coincidence he is going to Italy just as the young woman came to England. To work. He too is uncertain on Brexit and how long it will be possible for him to stay.

That fateful decision the electorate made two years ago. The ripples will continue for many years. I am no more in the know of what will happen now than when I battled my own lack of knowledge and reluctantly cast my ballot on a thundery evening in June 2016.

Whatever the outcome I wish both these young people well. The young are the future so we must accept decisions affect the many not just our own selfish ego, need and indulgence. No man is an island as a famous man whose name I forget 30 years later once wrote.

As for me and my little world, uncertainty remains on many levels. But at least today and on Monday through those short conversations I can believe I did some good this week. See you soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment