Saturday 14 July 2018

Martha's Harbour.

Way back in 1989 my school friend Robin introduced me to the band All About Eve. Completely out my comfort zone I was mesmerised by the haunting vocals and sense of the mysterious. A couple of years later as my life came crashing down around me I became tranfixed by the song Martha's Harbour. So much of my life I have taken for granted that the sea was just a short walk away. The seagulls irritated me as did the visitors. It was just so normal then. In my time living in Folkestone I so wanted to see the dawn rise over the harbour but had always been too tired or too lazy to make it happen.

Now in 2018 I have been away from the sea for eleven years. But this weekend I'm back and take in its full wonders as this glorious summer continues. Today I took the bus over and met my friend Marie. A long time since we saw each other. We went for lunch in a perfectly acceptable tapas restaurant. Long and leisurely, with plenty of Spanish beer, we had fun. Then to the harbour. And how glorious was that?

So much money has been pumped into Folkestone in recent years. It was a delight to see. And we sat overlooking the water with cold beer and enjoyed the sun. Shimmering on the water, it was the colour of freshly landed sardines, that greeny blue sheen that is only evident when the sardine is ultra fresh.

Memories of the sea sometimes haunt me and sometimes entice me. I lived a lot by the sea and a lot of it was bad. But I know now that surely one day I will return to the sea and live out what is left of my life in a land I once knew well but on the dark days is a dim and distant memory.

Dad has bought a goose breast for me to cook tonight. God knows what I'm going to do with it. So to google I go for inspiration. Have fun in the sun.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment