Sunday 18 June 2017

Not Quite Deserted.

The streets of London were noticeably quieter yesterday than they normally are. My trip to China Town saw not quite deserted but quiet streets, a less packed tube, an almost empty pub and dim sum away from the throng of a warm Saturday in June. We can only speculate. Did the fear of terrorism keep people away? Was it a sign that London is reeling from the devastation of recent weeks? I do not know but it was not the London I remember.

As repercussions swirl following the tragic fire in West London is my country changing forever? What seemed normal seems gone. There is anger on the streets the like of which has not been seen since the riots of late summer 2011. Our leaders are in more precarious straights and I suspect it is only a matter of months before we all go out to vote again. Uncertainty adds to that fear.

On this very hot sunny Sunday I'm staying indoors at least for the moment. Sleep was not great, dreams of mum and associated anxiety pervaded what should have been my lie in. I was up early and reading. Maybe I will pop out for a walk after lunch and opera. I will be pan frying some squid with harissa for lunch.

Gary, Ali and his niece Alyssa are coming for roast beef later. Mum tended to avoid beef in the summer as she felt it was quite heavy for hot days. I do not hold such qualms. I didn't make it to the butcher yesterday as normal so Waitrose had to suffice.

Miriam is back from her holiday but away in the Yorkshire. My thoughts are turning to a visit to see dad soon. Not been down since his party. I would have gone last week but I wanted to catch Sue and Duncan in The Butt of Sherry and they were away in Cyprus. Many people taking holidays. I'm having a stay home summer, no plans to go away. Still waiting to decide when to take my final week of leave. Need to book off the day I'm meeting Miriam. We will visit the British Museum for an exhibition for her birthday. That should be fun.

Despite not the best sleep mentally I feel quite well. Friday was a challenge as it marked that anniversary. Why do dates impact so on us? But I bounced back. In the week I will be sharing a platform with Paul Farmer who is CEO of MIND. I'm on a panel with him taking questions at a conference. I don't really know much about it but I'm sure I will be fine.

Enjoy the rest of the sun soaked weekend and see you soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment